Version Control in Lectora® Online cloud authoring tool allows multiple members of a team to work on the same title at the same time—all without overwriting each other’s changes. Versioning is made possible through the Check Out and Check In process.
When you’re working on a shared title, you’ll need to check out a part of the title in order to make changes. When you check out a part of a title, other team members working on the title won’t be able to modify the checked out pages and objects. You can check out an entire title, a chapter, a section, a page or even a single object.
To check out a title, or part of a title:
1. Select the parts of the title you want to modify.
2. Select the Check Out icon in the Title Explorer bar or right-click and select Version Control > Check Out.
Parts of the title you’ve checked out will have a green highlight around them in the Title Explorer. If another member of your team is viewing the title, those highlights will appear in red.
Checking In Changes
When you’ve completed your necessary modifications, it’s a good idea to check in your changes so that you can create a version history of the title.
To check in your changes:
1. Select the parts of the title you want to check in.
2. Select the Check In icon in the Title Explorer bar or right-click and select Version Control > Check In.
3. Use the Comment field to provide brief descriptions of your changes. These comments become part of your title’s history and will help you keep track of the different versions of your title.
4. Enable the Keep Checked Out box if you want to submit your changes but retain the checked-out status. This allows you to keep updating the title without having to repeatedly check it out.
Restoring a Title
Using version control, you can always restore a title from backed-up versions of the title that you have checked in. When you restore the title, the restored version becomes the new current version. Alternatively, you can create a new title from a previous version.
To access your version history and restore a title:
1. Select Manage Titles from the Tasks list on the Getting Started tab.
2. Select the title you want to restore from the Shared Titles folder in the Manage Titles window and select the History button.
3. The Title History window will open to display a version history of the selected title. Each version of the title appears in chronological order in the Version History table, along with the creation date and time, the creator and any comments provided.
4. To restore a title from a previous version, select Restore Version.
5. To create a new title from a checked-in version, select Restore Version to Title.
Want to try Version Control in Lectora Online yourself? Sign up for a free 30-day trial.
Subscribe to the Lectora e-Learning Blog for more tutorials like this and e-Learning tips.